Before trying these exercises, talk to your healthcare provider to make sure they are safe for you. Ask your healthcare provider how many times to do each exercise.
This strengthens and loosens the muscles in your upper back.
- Lean against a wall with a firm pillow or rolled towel under your shoulder blades. Your feet should be about 12 inches from the wall and shoulder-width apart. Point your chin down.
- Breathe in. Push your shoulders, neck, and head against the wall. You will feel a stretch in your shoulders.
- Hold for 5 counts. Then breathe out, and relax your shoulders and neck.
This strengthens your back and buttocks muscles.
- Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart. Put your hands on your upper thighs and bend your knees slightly.
- Slowly bend forward at the hips. Push your hips back and keep your shoulders up. Make sure your back is straight. You'll feel a stretch in your upper thighs. You'll also feel your back muscles holding you in position.
- Hold for 5 counts, then straighten.