These steps can help you stay comfortable during treatment of a vaginal infection. They also help prevent vaginal infections in the future.
Keeping a Healthy Balance
Factors that change the normal balance in the vagina can lead to a vaginal infection. To help keep the balance normal, try these tips:
- Change out of wet bathing suits and damp exercise clothes as soon as possible. Yeast thrive in a warm, moist environment.
- Avoid wearing tight pants. Choose cotton underwear and pantyhose that have a cotton crotch. Cotton keeps you cooler and drier than synthetics.
- Don't douche unless directed by your healthcare provider. Douching can destroy friendly bacteria and change the vagina's normal balance.
- Wipe from front to back after using the toilet. This prevents bacteria from spreading from the anus to the vulva.
- Wash the vulva with mild, unscented soap or with plain water.
- Wash your diaphragm, spermicide applicators, and sex toys with mild soap and water after use. Dry them thoroughly before putting them away.
- Change tampons often (every 2 to 4 hours). Leaving a tampon in for too long may disrupt the balance of vaginal bacteria.
Staying Healthy Overall
Good overall health can help you resist infection. To be healthier:
- Help protect yourself from STDs by using latex condoms for intercourse. Ask your healthcare provider for more information about safer sex.
- Eat a variety of healthy foods.
- Exercise regularly.
- Get enough rest and sleep.
- Maintain a healthy weight. If you need to lose weight, ask your healthcare provider for advice on how to start.