A condom is a thin covering that fits over the penis. A condom catches sperm that comes out of the penis during sex. Rubber (latex) or polyurethane condoms help protect you from AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). They can also help prevent pregnancy.
Place the rolled condom on the head of the hard penis. Leave room at the tip to catch semen.
Squeeze the air out of the tip. Unroll the condom over the entire penis.
After sex, hold the condom at the base of the penis. Then pull out of your partner carefully.
Use Condoms Right
- If you use a lubricant, make sure it's water-based. Astroglide and K-Y jelly are waterbased. Astroglide and K-Y jelly are water-based. Don't use Vaseline, oil, or hand cream. They can make the condom break.
- Use a new condom each time you have sex.
- You can buy condoms in a drugstore or supermarket. Keep them wrapped until you use them.
- To prevent pregnancy, condoms work best if you use them with spermicide, also available in the drugstore or supermarket.
- Keep condoms on hand. Store them in a cool place. Don't keep them in your wallet or in your car.